Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sixteen Hours: Floor (Part Nineteen)

I've been very busy for the past week. Our team has a big deadline to reach, and to do so, each of us has to work beyond the norms. Ever since I started work at Pointwest, the most number of overtime hours I have rendered was 18 hours in a month. Just being in the middle of January, I have already rendered a total of 16 hours of overtime - and our work isn't near halfway done.

I have no complaints - I totally enjoy working the extra hours. I find the peace missing in my home in the solace of my quiet workstation. The familiar chattering of the keyboard and random clicks of the mouse adequately appeases my desire to talk to people. I find happiness in the warmth of my hands on my cheeks as I walk under the cold midnight sky. Those alone make things easier to bear. People might find me as a workaholic, but I don't see myself as such. I just try to enjoy the things that I have and not be sullied by the things I wished I had.

Bittersweet as it may sound, happiness and satisfaction are two different things. I have learned that accepting and being satisfied to things as they are, how miserable as they may seem, is the first step to moving forward.

No comments: