Sunday, June 17, 2012

Project Kratos (Phase I, 2/36)

Project Kratos is my effort to be stronger and lift heavy, with a better looking body only as a result. I'm following the Stronglifts 5x5 Workout: five sets of five reps each exercise, with the exception to the deadlift where it is done five sets of one rep each.

I decided to follow SL5x5 because I was never a fan of isolation exercises and I can't afford to stay for hours at the gym. SL5x5 focuses only on compound exercises, and it allows me to train in under an hour at the most. The core exercise of the workout is the squat, while it's core principle is to start light and progressively add weight each time I visit the gym.

Phase I of Project Kratos is 12 weeks: 36 workout sessions in total.

I started the program with the following stats:
Weight: 161lbs
Body Fat: 13.4%
  
Posts under this label will serve as my training journal to track my progress and as well thoughts about exercising and the gym for the next weeks to come.
---

Training Day 2 (06/16/12)
Workout B

SQUATS:
5x5 - 50lbs
(+5)

OVERHEAD PRESS:
5x5 - 45lbs
(base)

DEADLIFT:
1x5 - 90lbs
(base)


Training Day 1 (06/14/12):
Workout A

SQUATS:
45lbs, 5x5
(base)

BENCH PRESS:
45lbs, 5x5
(base)

BARBELL ROWS:
65lbs, 5x5
(base)


I was actually scared to go to gym for the very first time. I felt very conscious about other people looking at me while I squat an empty bar. But as soon as I entered the gym and did my business, I felt very relieved because people didn't pay too much attention on what other people were doing. It was like everybody at the gym had an agreement not to bother somebody else unless their form is putting them at great risk for injury. When I went to the gym today, I didn't have the uneasy feeling eating me inside out. I went, did my squats and lifts, took a shower, and left. The gym (at least my gym) was like a brotherhood where every individual values respect to another person's space and time. It was very different from what I had in mind: a place packing beefy men snickering at a thin person's attempt to lift weights as thin as he was.

As Napoleon Hill places it, "neglecting to broaden their view has kept some men doing one thing all their lives."

No comments: