Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Long Walk Home

"Kuya, tabi lang ho."

The jeep was cruising along the then empty roads of Commonwealth. It was enjoying its freedom to reign the highway even for a little while. However, the rather dilapidated vehicle abruptly swerved, weaved across several lanes, and ground to an abrupt halt in response to my call.

St. Peter's Parish was quite the distance away from the usual place where I end my commute.

It was a few minutes before midnight when I arrived. I was desperate to find a sincere feeling of peace as I looked up at the cross that was a cerulean beacon of hope. Overwhelmed by the amount of fear from the uncertain, I lit four candles without any intentions of prayer. My eyes vacantly stared at the flames that persevered on the chilly winds that battered them. They burned with vigor at the beginning, but slowly waned as time soldiered on. Cold gusts mocked and reduced their presence, but the four small icons of hope never gave up. They patiently kindled their inner strength and fought bravely not to lose their brilliance. Not letting go, flickering to the point of being extinguished -- they were doing it for my sake.

It was then and there that I found a piece of the peace of mind that I was looking for.

A few minutes past twelve, despite ensconced, I bade farewell to the four candles and thanked them for showing me a glimpse of peace I tearfully wanted to see. Heading home, I passed by the entrance only to be transfixed by the kingly image of the cross. Rays of white illuminated the surrounding darkness, just like the four modest candles that gave me a serene sense of solace. No words escaped my lips, but my heart was overflowing with words of gratitude.

With a humble step, I held onto the peace that I have obtained. My confused mind calmed with each and every stride. My eyes lit up with each new sight I saw. The slow and steady pace of my journey made me once again appreciate the littlest things that made me content before. Everything that passed reassured me that whatever may and will happen, I can always go the distance and take the long walk home.

No comments: