Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Altruism?

I waved my hand in order for the jeep to stop and take me home.

As I sat inside the dimly lit seating of the jeep, I discreetly looked at the other people riding along with me, a routine that I usually do as soon as I have seated squarely inside the vehicle. Every night, I look at the different expressions of people hailing from all walks of life, and every night, I ask Him to keep everyone on board safe and sound.

What caught my attention was the little girl who was being embraced by her mother, and the lady sitting beside them. The girl had this innocent look in her eyes as she was staring on the box of pizza the lady had sitting adjacent to her. As I was silently watching her from a short distance away, I cannot deny myself to think what I actually felt. There was an urge of wanting to help, but for what reason? Out of gentle kindness, or out of sheer pity?

As I pondered on what was happening, the little girl slowly slouched, let out a deep sigh, and turned away from what enchanted her for so long. It was as if she realized something, and upon that, lost all interest in what the lady was toting. It wasn't long before I knocked loudly to signal the modest driver to grind his vehicle to a halt.

Life is such. People seek to understand it, but no one fully grasps its meaning. We use our heart and our reason to find a rhyme in a song that we never really hear or sing.

No comments: