Sunday, August 21, 2011

Choices: Moving On

A little while ago, I accompanied Iyhan to his aunt's house in Sta. Mesa. We brought most of his belongings there, since he will be staying there for a week before he moves to his new place somewhere along Shaw.

I finally got to meet his relatives and see his house before he moved into ours. It was sad to realize that despite him persistently trying to come with him to Sta. Mesa back when we were still together, I just said no and no. He told me that was the problem with me: it didn't seem that I wanted to know him because I didn't want to meet his family and relatives. After giving out a sharp excuse, I admitted to him that yes, that was one of my faults. It was like he belonged in my family, but I didn't belong in his. Back then, I felt really insecure about myself. In the back of my head, I didn't want to meet his family because I didn't want to think what was his family's impression of me. That was what I always thought, but now, it's about time to change things. Thanks to him, now I feel more confident and reassured about myself unlike before.

Going home, I asked him if he'll still come over at our house from time to time. He remained silent for a few moments, and replied that he's not sure if he'll be able to. Muttering a muffled response, I turned my attention to the movie that was going on. I felt my heart break in thinking that this day might be the last day that I'll ever see him. I can't blame him in thinking that way, and all I told myself was that this was all for the best. I'm sure it will be a pain unlike anything I've ever felt before, but I need to carry forward and endure it, for the sake of all the things we've been through together, and maybe for my own sake as well. I just care for him so much, even if he doesn't realize that anymore.

It's true that once you learn to truly love someone, that person will forever be a part of you no matter what may happen. Farewells may come one day, but there will always be things that will never, ever change.

No comments: