Saturday, November 26, 2011

Out of Convenience

A week ago, my old college friends and I met up for some so much needed get together. It's true that each and every one that attended has become more or less an adult in terms of priorities and responsibilities. The usual chitchat of the hottest happenings in school was in fact still the things that we talked about all night long, since it was one of the experiences we all shared together.

And true enough, one of my friends was once again placed on the hot seat because her relationship with another friend of ours intrigued us, since all she ever did was to avoid the topic from being discussed. It turned out that now, they were in the dark about each other. It was as if they had mutually called off their relationship, if there was indeed any. A few more drinks until I was inebriate, I asked her why didn't she fend for their relationship, and her reply was that she no longer knew if she just liked the person out of the convenience of they could see each other everyday at work.

After stopping to think about what she said, I gave her a fist bump. I've been currently distraught about my feelings toward my friends at work, and "out of convenience" pretty much hits the spot. I understood what she meant: liking someone out of convenience isn't a pleasant feeling. The person becomes a reminder that he or she has become a scapegoat for one's longings for requited love.

But seriously, being single isn't all that bad. It is a time where you can love yourself so you can fully love another.

No comments: