Monday, September 10, 2012

Thirty Leaves in Four Months: Floor (Part Twenty-Six)

I have a rather interesting problem at work: how to consume around 30 leaves in a span of four months.

I earned a lot of leaves because of the relentless overtime hours I rendered during the first few months of the year. There was a lot of work to be done in such little amount of time. The result was the team accomplishing what needed to be done (but being down by the colds from time to time), and us earning a lot of leaves in the process. The time being mid-September, I am put into a position wherein I should use all of my leaves by December, or they will be rendered null and void.

There is an option to convert all my earned leaves into cash, but the converted amount, computed in my rate last January, will strike a hefty sum to tax, which I dislike. Looking at the pros and cons, I decided that taking the leave is the better decision since I would get paid in my current (and better) rate as I took the day off. I talked to my manager about it, and he told me that of course, I cannot use all of my leaves at once. He advised me to take a week's off every month until all of my leaves were used up.

With that planned out, I am troubled on what to do when I do take a week's off at work. It would be a waste if I just slacked around at home, doing the usual stuff I do each and every day.

Suggestions?

No comments: