Saturday, November 17, 2012

Goodbye Money: Team MY/SG

Some initial thoughts about Kuala Lumpur and Singapore:

1. Clean. And I do mean clean. There is still the occasional litter here and there, but you can count the trash with a single hand. The places are so clean that I don't remember seeing any flies buzzing about.

2. Efficient traffic systems. Never did I experience any heavy traffic on both places when we commuted by bus. And my god, the bus and railway systems of both places are so great. It's so convenient for us backpackers because everything was so connected. Kuala Lumpur has the KLSentral, the only place we needed to go to when we needed to go somewhere via railway, and Singapore has the SMRT, a bus and railway system so efficient you should never be late for anything.

3. The people are so disciplined. People cross only at designated places and do not litter. In Singapore, people stay to the left when standing on escalators to give way to other people in a hurry and stop completely when seeing pedestrians wanting to cross a pedestrian lane.

My trip to KL and SG was a real eye-opener to me. Being my first trip out of the country, I'm so overwhelmed on all the things our country is missing out. It was the simple things that stuck most on my mind because if it was that simple, why can't we implement it here? I'll do my part. Even if I know we won't be anything like Kuala Lumpur or Singapore soon, I'll still do my part because the change should start with each and every one of us.

No comments: