Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Out of Respect

A few days ago, my mom just snapped. She went into a furious episode of saying things out of anger. It started because she thought that my dad was the one who set up the dining table. We all know that my mom dislikes that, since my dad is the one working and putting food in the table. I understand her sentiment, but what she did back then was a little bit too far, in my opinion.

She burst into yelling and yelling about things all of us already know. Her feelings were she's the only one moving in the house to do chores, and it was us crossing the line when my dad starts to do them too. A little irritated, I told her without raising my voice that I was the one who set up the table, but she just shrugged it off, telling me how incomplete my job was. I just totally lost my appetite and walked away without saying anything else.

In my room, my brother told me that I shouldn't have done what I did. He thought that I just made things worse for all of us. I asked him if what I did was wrong. He said no, and before he could say anything else, I told him that if that's the case, how will I make things, ugly as they were, uglier? It was just me standing up for what I believed is right. Yes, I agree that my mom does most of the work, but it wasn't correct that she treated us lower than our pet dogs. All of us do something to help with the chores in the house, and it wasn't right for her to just snap out like that.

I'm not angry. Probably I'm just a little disappointed on my mom because I thought that she can be better than that. I respect her so much, and hopefully, she knows that I do.

2 comments:

Veeyah said...

Hey!
I could totally relate with your experience - my mom does that sometimes too! And it's true that anger can push people to say things that hurt others and make one feel worthless.

I remember feeling the same way you did when, after I did everything she asked me to do around the house like clean the room, wash the dishes and even do a bit of laundry, she still scolded me for not doing my job. :( That was pretty disappointing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience! :) Found someone I could relate to. Thanks.

Nox said...

I try not to be mad and raise my voice since I know they have a reason for doing that. Disappointed yes, but angry, no.

No problem, fellow Atenean. ;)