Monday, February 7, 2011

Little Steps

I find it hard to set long-term goals that cannot be broken down into smaller, more manageable periods wherein gratification is easily attained. I set checkpoints to serve as motivations to push myself forward towards that long-awaited finish line. Making smaller goals out of a much bigger one is easier, since there will always be some more room for improvement, or some slack if the going gets tough.

Take my conquest to attain a healthy weight, for example. I've been underweight for almost all my life, as I have let my lanky genes decide my outer appearance. At a little over six feet tall, I weigh only about 130lbs -- about ten pounds underweight. I've been trying to gain weight ever since I knew I was unhealthily skinny, but always remained at that weight. What happened was if ever I would gain a few pounds, I would slack off too much and lose all that hard-gained weight. However, during the past few weeks, I decided to break my goal into smaller parts working toward the same, bigger goal. Now, my goal is to at least maintain whatever weight I gain, and so far, I'm doing well. With determination and discipline, I have gained at least eight pounds in six weeks, and maintaining it. I've grown a little on my waist, but I definitely feel stronger due to the effort I place in strength training.

With this experience, I have learned "how to dream properly", for the lack of a better term. It's no use to rush goals to completion, because what matters in the road to one's victories is the journey, and not reaching the top itself. For me, a goal is truly a victory if when I look back, I'll see all the small defeats, wins, and lessons that I have experienced.

2 comments:

HOMER said...

same predicament here :-) I always plan that I'll try to gain weight after every sem, but the stubborn me always gets in the way. Saka mas masarap magrelax and gumimik pag walang school, ayun.. I gained weight naman konti because of my beer belly. haha! :D But ayun nga it's in the genes din kasi namin.. :D

Don't worry there's still time hehe! ;)

Nox said...

Homer: Basta rule of thumb raw, if you think you're eating enough, think again. If you want to be big, you have to eat big. Kaya ngayon hindi ako kuripot sa sarili ko when it comes to food. Halos 90% ng allowance ko sa sarili ko, food. Health Conscious na raw kasi ako. Haha