Tuesday, February 1, 2011

More Traffic

I know I should kick off February with a nice, positive post, but the traffic conditions in one of the major roads I travel everyday is getting worse and I, along with other commuters, aren't too enthusiastic about it. I don't want to say that I'm impatiently enraged, because I am not. I can't stop myself and question the mettle of the people governing our country. Do they actually base new rules and regulations on factual data and actual research, or do they just lash out these decrees on a whim, causing much confusion to an unprepared group of commuters?

Take Commonwealth Avenue for example. The authorities are strictly enforcing all public utility vehicles on the yellow lane, giving out proper sanctions to those caught violating the rule. They did such thing because many lives have been wasted in countless car accidents because of recklessness. Jeeps and buses zoom on the road as if it was their own, adding more peril to the already dangerous avenue. Yes, I agree that there has to be some rule to enforce much needed discipline on the road, but was that the best thing to do? Impose a speed limit and follow the yellow lane rule in a very spartan manner?

The authorities like to follow what they have done in Edsa, one of the country's major thoroughfares. The thing is, passenger jeepneys are not allowed to travel in Edsa, whereas Commonwealth Avenue is bustling with these commuter essentials. The result was traffic going from bad, to hellish. The usual fifteen minute travel from Sandiganbayan to Quezon Circle ballooned to a sad thirty minutes, meaning commuters like I need to adjust their clocks in order to remain punctual in their own commitments.

More likely, this is just a post out of impulse, and not a challenge to the government. At the very least, actions are being done to address concerns, but I hope in the future, their actions do not cause more issues that need to be addressed.

No comments: