Tuesday, January 18, 2011

An Escalator Accident

Escalators (just like the internet, haha) are things that we usually take granted for. We usually hop on a step, patiently or impatiently wait until we reach the top or the bottom, then nonchalantly alight the escalator as if it was just an ordinary flight of stairs. Earlier this evening, I was present in an escalator accident which happened in Ayala Station of the MRT.

I was quite in a hurry to go home. Since I arrived a little bit late for work, I had to stay behind for a couple of minutes past six. Picking up the pace, I broke up a little sweat as I reached the Ayala Station of the MRT. As I were a few paces from riding the escalator, the unthinkable happened. The escalator suddenly bolted to a stop, and then rolled backwards in a very fast speed. Passengers frantically held on to the rails for dear life as cries out of surprise warned other people about to ride the escalator. After a brief moment of despair, the escalator halted to a stop, flushing all its passengers to a panicked pile at the foot of the escalator. Bewildered witnesses flocked to see what just transpired, while the unfortunate ones who took part in the frantic escalator's failure quickly alighted to safety.

It was just plain frightening to witness something so ordinary turn horribly wrong.

I took the stairs to reach the top level, and witnessed a man applying pressure to his bloodied foot. There were also women who were leaning to the wall, limping and grimacing in pain. People were shaken up, but were fine in general. I didn't see any more serious injuries other than the man who sustained a gash on his foot, and that gave me enough peace not to stay behind, make usyoso, and see what happened.

Because of that, I don't think I'll ride an escalator for a few days.


The news stated that the cause was an escalator malfunction. Nine people were injured and are being treated in Makati Medical Center for leg and back injuries. The escalator was corded off from the public, and a call to check the safety of escalators and other public pedestrian vehicles was made.

2 comments:

BlogusVox said...

I think there is probable cause for legal action on this one.

Nox said...

Negligence on the part of MRT? I'm just thankful I wasn't involved in the accident.