Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ice

The bright sun ruled the arid skies. Waves of dry heat continuously blanketed the air. People complained how hot the weather was. Beads of sweat trickled down my forehead and streamed down my back. I hurried my pace as it was already a few minutes past ten. As soon as I entered the office building, a cool gush of air welcomed my presence and relieved me from the blast furnace that was outside.

The swelling of my cheek has subsided a little, but the discomfort and slight pain when I eat was still present. Swinging the freezer door open, I was ecstatic to see the ice tray full of ice. I filled my water bottle with the small cubes of arctic heaven, and applied the improvised ice bag to my sorry cheek. Instantly feeling the cool, pleasant sensation, a small yet very content smile escaped my lips. It was so relieving: both for my swollen cheek and my body yearning for the chilly season. My small slice of paradise was short lived; but as soon as it withered to a lukewarm bottle, the ice in the freezer was ready to once again relive the momentary pleasure amidst the heat.

Sometimes, it is the simplest of things that makes me happy. Keeping my feet on the ground, I never stop dreaming from the stars that I know in time will grant my broken fairy tale its happy ending.

All that because of two trays of ice.

No comments: