Sunday, April 17, 2011

Third Molar (Part One and a Half)

Yesterday, I went to my dentist to have my right third molar removed. I was a little nervous at first, but the easygoing air my dentist always wore around her made my apprehensions disappear. The light mood inside her small clinic kindled the tiny flame of bravery that quietly burned inside me.

My dentist told me that she would make the procedure as painless as she could possibly manage. However, after three hours and three and a half doses of anesthetics, she decided to abort the procedure and continue on another day. My case was a very complex one: my two lower wisdom teeth were impacted horizontally, and to add to the difficulty, my teeth were huge compared to the normal person. She was able to remove the crown, cut the root into two parts, and kill the nerves, but both of us were tired and the effects of the anesthesia was wearing off. She explained that because I have already felt pain, my body would anticipate pain, nullifying the numbing effects of the anesthetics.

But I must admit that the procedure wasn't as excruciating as I imagined it would be. Yes there was pain, but I was able to manage it fairly well, considering I have a relatively low threshold for pain (and an above average dose of anesthesia). Hopefully, Thursday's procedure would be a success. Yesterday was just half a step -- five days morrow, I trust that it will be a complete step forward.

No comments: