Saturday, April 30, 2011

Third Molar (Part Two)

After two weeks of a series of minor unfortunate incidents, my dentist was finally able to pull out my wisdom tooth on my lower right jaw.

It was excruciating.

The pain was nothing like I've felt before. Of course, there was anesthetics applied and I have taken a dose of pain killers before the procedure. However, it was still quite a painful experience. My dentist patiently explained to me why I still feel pain amidst all the preparations we made: the tooth was separating from the bone. The anesthesia was only there to relieve some of the pain and not entirely negate it. I tried my best not to wince in pain since my dentist was easily frightened for my sake, but I wasn't able to help it. The procedure was a success because she did one thing that was out of the ordinary: she shut her eyes tight and felt my tooth with her nimble finger. After an hour, my stubborn tooth popped out of its bony socket. Both of us were surprised by the sheer size of it, but it gave us both much relief.

A little bit afraid of the next surgery, I asked my dentist what it would be like. She assured me that the next operation would be relatively easier than this one. She calmed me in saying that she would be able to extract my left wisdom tooth in one appointment, and explained to me why it would be an easier surgery as well.

Today was an achievement for both of us. For me, the half step is now a full step forward. With determination in my mind and courage in my heart, I will continue what I have started and ensure that I will not back down and lose to the pain I am sure will be enduring.

No comments: