Wednesday, March 23, 2011

21KM

My best friend and I signed up for National Geographic's Earth Day Run. We reluctantly enlisted ourselves in the highest division, the 21-kilometer run. For what reason? The shirt participants received for that division looked nice.

Seriously.

Now, I'm having doubts on how the heck I will be able to complete that distance within four grueling hours. My friend, a track runner since grade school, told me that from the day we registered onward, I should not think on how long it would be. He told me to only imagine me crossing the finish line. His confidence in me being able to complete the arduous marathon gave me a much needed ego boost.

As of this week, I have begun my self-imposed training regimen once again. I jog a couple of laps around the streets of my subdivision, alongside with body weight training in hopes of conditioning my strength and endurance. I can tell that the run will be a tough one on my part, but my friend has kept reassuring me that no matter what, he won't let me trail behind. With a person I can rest my shoulders on, I can challenge myself to cross that finish line and grab hold of a little victory; a feat probably only the two of us will know and share for the years to come.

No comments: